There are a couple of causes you may want to export your WordPress media library. Maybe you used a backup plugin that backed up every thing however your media information. Maybe you simply created a brand new web site and solely need to switch the pictures from an current web site to the brand new one.
Whatever the rationale, there are a number of methods you’ll be able to export your media library with out having to obtain each picture individually to a folder in your laptop. Doing so manually could be tedious and nearly unattainable on a media-rich web site.
In this submit, we’ll discover 4 methods you’ll be able to export media out of your WordPress website painlessly.
How to Export Your WordPress Media Library
There are 4 strategies for exporting your WordPress media library. You can use the native export device to transfer your media to one other WordPress web site. You can use an FTP resolution to obtain your media information remotely, however this will take a very long time. You can use cPanel’s File supervisor for a quicker obtain. Or you need to use a plugin to automate the method.
Let’s stroll by means of every technique beneath so you’ll be able to choose the one which most closely fits your abilities, file administration instruments, and media library.
How to Export Your WordPress Media Library Using the Native Export Tool
WordPress has a built-in export device. This device permits you to export your posts, pages, customized submit sorts, feedback, customized fields, classes, tags, customized taxonomies, customers, and media. We’ll stroll by means of how to use this device to export your media library beneath.
1. Log in to your WordPress dashboard.
2. Click Tools > Export.
3. Select the radio button labeled Media.
4. Select a date vary in the event you solely want to export information that have been uploaded inside a particular time-frame.
5. Click the Download Export File button.
This will create an XML file for you to save to your laptop. Once saved, you’ll be able to log in to one other WordPress web site and use the WordPress importer device to import the XML file.
This course of is so extremely easy that it looks as if the plain alternative. If However, in case your media library may be very giant or you could have a slower connection, then the obtain may day trip earlier than it completes. If both is true for you, then attempt one of many strategies beneath.
How to Export Your WordPress Media Library Using FTP
FTP, or File Transfer Protocol, presents customers direct entry to their website’s information from their computer systems, with out using a browser. Since FileZilla is without doubt one of the most generally used FTP options and is formally beneficial by WordPress, we’ll use it on this demo. If you’re utilizing one other FTP resolution, the steps will likely be comparable.
1. Open FileZilla. It ought to say Remote or Local Site within the prime left-corner of your display screen.
2. Click on the wp-content listing.
3. Find the folder labelled “uploads” and drag it to your desktop.
This is one other extremely easy choice. However, the foremost drawback of utilizing FTP is how sluggish the obtain course of is. Each media file will likely be uploaded to the FTP queue and downloaded one-by-one.
If you could have lots of or 1000’s of information in your media library, think about one of many different strategies beneath.
How to Export Your WordPress Media Library Using cPanel
cPanel organizes all of the information in your WordPress internet hosting account into folders and allows you to handle and edit them with File Manager. Since File Manager is a straightforward and standard device, we’ll stroll by means of how you need to use it to export your media library. If you’re utilizing one other file supervisor, the method will likely be comparable.
1. To begin, log in to your management panel and open the File Manager.
2. Click the public_html folder.
3. Click the wp-content folder.
4. Find the folder labelled “uploads.”
5. Select it, then click on the Compress button within the prime toolbar.
6. Under Compression Type, choose the Zip Archive choice.
7. By default, will probably be named “uploads.zip.” You can go away as is or rename it.
8. Click Compress File(s).
9. A brand new window will robotically open with the “Compression Results,” exhibiting how a lot the compressed information have been gotten smaller. Click Close.
10. Back in wp-content, choose the uploads.zip folder and click on the Download button within the prime toolbar.
11. Once the obtain is full, you’ll be able to transfer the file out of your Download listing to your desktop or any folder you want.
If you’d like to simplify this course of additional, you need to use a plugin.
How to Export Your WordPress Media Library Using a Plugin
We’ll stroll by means of how to export your WordPress media library utilizing the Export Media URLs plugin. If you’re utilizing one other plugin, take a look at its documentation for actual steps.
1. First, log into your WordPress dashboard.
2. Click Plugins > Add New.
3. Search for “Export Media URLs.” When the search end result seems, click on Install Now.
4. Click Activate. You’ll robotically be redirected to Export Media URLs plugin web page.
5. Now it’s time to configure the Export Media URLs plugin settings. Select the information you need included within the export, as well as to the file URLs. Also choose if you would like media information by all authors, or particular ones.
6. Then choose CSV file for Export Type.
7. Once you’ve made these picks, click on Export Now. Your complete WordPress media library will likely be downloaded as a CSV file into your Downloads listing.
WordPress Plugins to Export Your Media Library
While any of the strategies described above will permit you to export your media library, WordPress plugins can automate the method to prevent probably the most time. Take a more in-depth have a look at the Export Media Library plugin and one other highly-rated choice beneath.
Export Media Library is a free WordPress plugin that permits customers to extract the URLs of their media library information and export them as a CSV file (or view them inside their dashboard). You may also select to export the ID, title, sort, and date uploaded of those media information.
Since this output format is extra useful for organising redirects than the XML file format that the WordPress export device makes use of by default, this plugin is good for exporting your WordPress media library when migrating net hosts.
When you employ the native export function in WordPress to export a particular submit sort, any associated media information should not exported by default. That’s the place Export Media with Selected Content comes to the rescue. When put in, it would add a checkbox labelled “Export media with selected content.” When checked, this plugin will find the featured picture and attachments of a submit and export them.
This plugin does have limitations. Since the plugin searches for “attached” media within the physique of the submit, if the theme or plugins in your web site use other ways of referencing media, then the plugin will likely be unable to discover and export them.
Exporting Your WordPress Media Library
If you might be altering themes, hosts, or web sites, chances are you’ll want to obtain all photographs and media information out of your WordPress web site. You can achieve this in a number of methods: you need to use the native export device, an FTP shopper, cPanel, or a plugin. The technique you choose ought to greatest fit your technical abilities, file administration instruments, connection, and media library dimension.
Editor’s notice: This submit was initially revealed in June 2020 and has been up to date for comprehensiveness.